Tuesday 17 February 2015

What kind of man loves a song like this?

The kind I am, for example. And the song in question is "What Kind Of Man" by Florence + The Machine.



For some reason, I wasn't particularly looking forward to hearing the first offering from their third album. I really liked the first two albums, and I did watch the album trailer, but somehow it didn't make me that excited, so I didn't bother to listen to the premiere and only watched the video for the song the day after it was released. My first reaction was't ecstatic: usually I don't like music videos turned into mini movies with dialogues and sound effects, for me it takes the focus away from the music, and this was no exception. It's probably worth mentioning that I prefer listening to a song for the first time without any visuals, it's a completely different experience, even when the actual song is exactly the same.

Luckily, when I just listened to the song, it was quite cathartic. It's not a complete departure from Florence's earlier works, the soft intro - anthemic chorus thing isn't unfamiliar territory, some subtle changes (brass section in, harp out), but the end result is so good that I can't help but play it again and again. And now I don't only love the song for how great it is, I also love it because it reminded me how it feels to be completely blown away by a piece of music, and although as times goes by it happens less and less frequently, it still happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment